So it’s been about a month into my new job and I think i’m starting to get the hang of things. I still have a LONG way to go to master the HR field…my boss says 10 years…. that’s fantastic… but anyways, I’ve collaborated a few things that have helped my transition that may help you if you’re in the same boat.
1. Meet as many people your first week as possible. You won’t remember all their names and faces, and will probably get them mixed up, but at least you get your name out there and people will recognize you.
2. Smile in the hallway when passing others, even if you have no idea who you’re smiling too. This shows you’re friendly side, and forces you to make eye contact which will help with recognizing faces.
3. Ask as many questions as possible! You’re there to help, and hopefully the other employees know that. Take the initiative to be proactive in your learning and training. I get told everyday to ask as many questions as possible. However, if I ask the same questions 10 times, they say don’t bother… Someone chimed in and said to just ask the same question to 10 different people…that’ll work.
4. If you don’t have a mentor, find one! Ask your boss to take maybe 30 minutes to an hour a week to answer long-term questions and to teach your new things. Remember that you’re long term goal should be to take their place one day….
5. Even if your work is dreadful at first, just remember that everything you do will help you in the future. Try to learn every aspect of your business, even the stuff you think is pointless, it’ll help out in the future.